Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
When the firefighters are done, and the smoke has somewhat cleared, the mess left by a fire can be confusing, and the clean up process can seem daunting. When you give us a call here at SERVPRO of Grapevine/NE Tarrant County, we can get moving to your location right away to provide a helping hand and to help clean up the mess. We have specially trained technicians and equipment to help get your home back to its pre-fire condition and get your life back on track. While you’re waiting for help to arrive, take a look at the list of tips below to get started on restoring your home.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (817) 595-2506
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.